This project is archived. Return to current Museums Sheffield homepage or view more projects.
Skip Navigation

St Catherine's Roman Catholic Primary School

Black and white photograph of the exterior of the original St Catherines Primary School
The old St Catherines school building, taken before demolition © Picture Sheffield, Sheffield Libraries

Black and white photograph of  children and adults digging the first sod for the new St Catherines Primary School
Cutting the first sod on land for the new school, 1972 © Picture Sheffield, Sheffield Libraries

The original school was located on Andover Street on the site now occupied by the new Pye Bank Primary School. A two storey stone building was first erected in 1876 on land donated by the Duke of Norfolk. It functioned as both a school and church until 1884 when a temporary church was built, allowing the school to expand. In 1974 a new school was built on the Firshill estate, where it remains today.