This project is archived. Return to current Museums Sheffield homepage or view more projects.
Skip Navigation


Upper Classes

The boating lake in the grounds of Abbeyfield House, around 1900

A family portrait taken at Osgathorpe Hills, 1908

Despite this grim picture of development, the higher part of Burngreave was far enough away from the noise and pollution to remain popular with Sheffields industrialists and professional classes. Abbeyfield House was built during the 1840s. Originally called Pitsmoor Abbey, it first belonged to William Pass, the owner of a local colliery. Then the house was bought by a solicitor, Bernard Wake, who turned it into the family home. He altered the house greatly, adding a sundial, conservatory, greenhouses, a tennis court and outhouses. The gardens were redesigned and a boating lake created.