This project is archived. Return to current Museums Sheffield homepage or view more projects.
Skip Navigation

Toll Bar Cottage

Black and white photograph of the exterior of Toll Bar Cottage from the early 1900s
Toll Bar Cottage in the early1900s with the gates still in place © Picture Sheffield, Sheffield Libraries

Toll Bar Cottage is a distinctive stone building dating back to 1837. It stands at the junction of Pitsmoor Road, Burngreave Road and Barnsley Road. As these roads were part of the main route out of Sheffield to Barnsley, Wakefield and Leeds, gates were placed across the road and a charge, or toll, levied on all who passed by. Tolls were charged until 1876 and the gates remained in place until the early 1900s. The old toll road can still be seen running parallel to Barnsley Road at a slightly higher level.

The original cottage was built in 1758. It was later replaced with the building which currently stands there. This was the home of the toll collector and his family. It was also the point where tolls were taken. The money was collected from a small window on the Pitsmoor Road side of the building. The railings were sometimes used to tether animals if their owners could not afford to pay the toll.