Halloween Late: The Science of Science Fiction
- Friday 2 November 2018 7:30pm - 10:30pm
- Free entry, £3 suggested donation, 18+ only
- How to book
- Just turn up
- Millennium Gallery
Join us for a very special Halloween Late at the Millennium Gallery as we explore the science of sci-fi.
We’ll be teaming up with Sheffield Hallam University’s Biomolecular Sciences Research Centre to discover that truth can be stranger than fiction...
- It’s the end of the world and Tom Cruise isn't coming to save you... Join us for a series of talks exploring the underlying science of science fictional worlds, from Armageddon to Jurassic Park
- We’ll be exposing the science of world-ending microbiology. Whether it's the alien bacterium in the Andromeda Strain, or the global plagues in Contagion and Shaun of the Dead, plagues are often at the heart of science fiction, but what is the science behind the fiction?
- Dr Frankenstein’s Creature Lab: Join Paul Evans - professional art/science collaborator - for a fun and creative exploration of what science may have in store for the animals of the future. Using drawing games devised by surrealist artists at the turn of the 20th century, unlock your imagination and create some extraordinary future beasts. How would you bring your creations to life - selective breeding, genetic engineering or bionics? And what are ethical implications of bringing our creatures into existence?
- Space: The Final Frontier - can you dock the space station or build a moon lander fit for humans? We’ll be challenging you to become astronauts
- B-Movie Mayhem - we’ll be showing a host of classic B Movie Sci-Fi shorts throughout the event
- Enjoy a game of vintage Space Invaders or Avengers Pinball in our Sci-Fi Arcade!
- Comic artist Jim Connelly will be reimagining you as a superhero with live pop-up sketching around the gallery.
Superhero Supercells - our scientists will be exploring the superheroes of the human body – supercells
As ever, there will be a whole host of interactive experiences, music and a pay bar. Dress in your best sci-fi cosplay and expect an evening that’s out of this world.
Admission for this event is 18+ only - find out more about our Lates here