Orange seller outside Christ Church, undated
© Picture Sheffield, Sheffield Libraries
The parish of Christ Church was first formed when the original parish of Sheffield grew and was divided in 1845. At that time it was a rural parish with local landowners subscribing to the church. The first vicar, Reverend Barlow, was a wealthy man and bought the land himself for the church to be built on. The architects, Flockton and Sons, designed the church and it was consecrated in 1850. The church is located on a triangle of land between Nottingham Street and Pitsmoor Road.
© 2011 Museums Sheffield