The demolition of All Saints Church in 1977
© Picture Sheffield, Sheffield Libraries
St Peters Anglican/Methodist church, built on the site of All Saints and opened in 1980
© Carl Rose
In 1860 a few men in the Atlas Steel Works started to meet together at meal times for prayer and bible readings. Hearing this, John Brown, offered them a room in the works' offices. Shortly afterwards a Sunday service commenced. The first scripture reader was appointed in 1864 and a Sunday School soon followed. In a very short time numbers had risen from 300 to 1000 scholars. This led Sir John to erect the church of All Saints on Ellesmere Road. It opened in 1869 and a school was then added in 1872. It played a prominent role in the neighbourhood over the next hundred years but was finally demolished in 1977 and the new Anglican church of St Peter's was built on the same site.
© 2011 Museums Sheffield